AdmissionWhile the Department of Biology has a rolling application and review process during the academic year, to be considered for nomination for university fellowships and scholarships, all application materials must be submitted online no later than December 1.
Submit the following items online
- University Graduate Application
- Personal research statement: A one-page description of any past research activities or experiences and your future research interests. This graduate committee uses this statement to ensure applicants are a good match for the graduate programs offered in the Department of Biology.
- Three reference letters: These letters should be written by individuals at a college/university who are in a position to judge your potential as a graduate student.
- Official general GRE test scores (verbal, quantitative and analytical). Our institutional code for ETS is 5904.
- Official undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts.
- Official TOEFL scores (for international students only). Our institutional code for ETS is 5904.
Expectations for a competitive application
Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
40th percentile ranking for the verbal, quantitative and
analytical sections of the GRE for M.S.
50th percentile ranking for the verbal, quantitative and
analytical sections of the GRE for Ph.D.
Three supportive letters of recommendation from people
(typically faculty) who are familiar with your abilities
A thoughtful essay
A match between your interests and those of our faculty
An adequate background in science and mathematics
A strong interest in scientific research
- Provisional acceptance by a member of the graduate faculty in our department after applications have been reviewed. If after reviewing all application materials there is no faculty member willing to serve as the applicant’s academic advisor, then the potential student will not be accepted into the program.
For international students, we also expect:
TOEFL score greater than 250 for the computer-based exam, greater than 600-603 for the paper-based test or greater than 100 for the internet-based test.